Friday, January 7, 2011

The Martha's Vineyard Detox Day 1

Thank God for the day of beginnings! It is intimidating to start something that lasts 21 days. Last night I was thinking, "Am I really ready for this? 21 days is a long time. My last fast was only 10 days. Suppose I fail while writing about this and everyone will know I wasn't able to do it?" But I got up this morning with a feeling of, "This is something that you need to do in order to get to your next. Dr. Charles Phillips (my former Pastor and a great motivational speaker) once said during a lesson, "If you wonder why God hasn't spoken to you about your next assignment, then go back and see if you completed the last assignment that you believed he gave to you". I've never forgotten that and I am careful about what I say I will do because integrity means doing what you say you will do all the time. So sometimes when everyone else is volunteering, I will just be silent so I have time to assess whether this is a 'God' thing or a 'good' thing. Not every good thing is good for me.

Sooo... here I am. Day 1 has been fine. My teas today were Burdock Root Tea and Dandelion Leaf Tea. My fruit smoothie consisted of carrot, blueberry, blackberry and raspberry juice. My vegetable broth was made from mexican zucchini, garlic, carrot, italian parsley, tomato, and cabbage. After removing the liquid I pureed the rest with some added cumin, basil, rosemary, curry powder and red pepper flakes and a little almond milk. This thick creamy soup will be tonight's dinner and I'll end the day with more water and some relaxing teas and a green smoothie for an evening snack. You can add a scoop of Protein powder, (mine has 20g of protein per scoop) to the two smoothies. And of course I also took my ASEA supplement - I do 2 oz. morning and evening and I have to say, I do not like the taste. If I had to swallow more than 2 oz. at a time my gag reflex would kick in. Energy wise, I feel fine and I'm going to do a one mile walk for the fresh air.



Peace and Blessings,

dede




Please note that I am not a doctor and this record of my detox cleanse is not an endorsement of any detox diet or product. This is something that I believe is right for me and the results will tell the tale. My goal here was to report my experience because many of my family and friends have said to me, "I could NEVER fast, I need to get my meals EVERY day". And I totally understand where they are coming from, I LOVE to cook and I do LOVE food. I can say that when I have fasted before I found that there is a clarity of thought and a spiritual connection that comes that you cannot get without the fasting experience. Starting the year with a time of meditation, prayer and fasting seems like a good idea to me. What about you? Have you ever fasted before?

No comments: